What We’ll Do
This particular 7-day experience starts out with a walking tour of Granada where we will visit the La Plaza Colón vía La Calzada, a cobblestone street that runs from La Plaza Colón to Lake Nicaragua. We will explore some of the adjacent shops and cathedrals, learning about the history of the area along the way. With Granada as our home base, we will take a boat ride through the 20,000-year-old volcano islands (Las Isletas) that call Lake Nicaragua their home. This tour takes you in and around some of the 365 islands found in the lake. As an option, we can arrange for dinner at one of the island restaurants as well. Another unique facet of this experience is the nighttime visit to the Masaya Volcano National Park to peer into the active Volcán Santiago.
To ensure that we quench your thirst for volcanoes, we also include a visit to the Mombacho Volcano Natural Reserve, where you'll hike through a cloud forest along the crater of Volcán Mombacho. You'll have time for some incredible panoramic photos of Granada, Las Isletas, and Lake Nicaragua from atop this 1,344-metre high volcano.
After thoroughly exploring Granada and the surrounding areas, we'll make our way to the Island of Ometepe by ferry. Your journey will start in San Jorge with a one-hour ferry ride over to Moyogalpa on the Island of Ometepe. Ometepe is an island that sits in the middle of Lake Nicaragua. It's known for its twin volcanoes. In fact, its name, "Ometepe," is a Nahuatl word that means "Dos Cerros," in Spanish, and "Two Hills," in English. During your time on this majestic island, you'll have your choice of several unique and awe-inspiring adventure and immersion opportunities. We can custom-tailor your time on the Island of Ometepe to your specific interests. Whether you prefer to soak in the beauties of Ometepe from a kayak in Lake Nicaragua; cool off in the freshwater springs of El Ojo de Agua; ride horseback to a waterfall on Volcán Maderas; or just sit at your ecolodge and drink fresh fruit juice, coffee, a cold Tona, or some of Nicaragua's famous Flor de Caña Rum, your time on the island of Ometepe is guaranteed to leave you inspired and reinvigorated. For the more extreme individuals, we can help you plan and all-day hike to the summit of Volcán Concepción.
- Planning and logistics
- Excursions and entrance fees in-country that is part of the 7-day experience.
- Transportation in-country that is part of the 7-day experience.
- Lodging in-country: Price assumes a shared room (2 persons)
- Breakfast and dinner while in-country.
- One beverage of choice during breakfast and dinner
- Round trip airplane ticket to Managua (MGA).
- $10 USD paid in Nicaraguan Customs upon arrival.
- Lunches while in-country.
- Personal excursions above and beyond the scheduled experiences while in-country.
- Personal transportation above and beyond the scheduled experiences while in-country.
- Beverages (e.g. alcohol, coffee, water, etc.) outside of breakfast and dinner.